Feinraf

[RS07] DevBlog:Old School RuneScape Week 2

8 posts in this topic

The latest dev blog for RS07 has been released, it discusses how voting for features will work and which features may be included in the first poll.

Hi everyone,

Two weeks since the launch of Old School RuneScape and the community is going strong! We’re delighted to have a group of players that really love the game and are talking constructively about the community and the game’s future.

As mentioned in the last devblog, this week we patched in a bunch of fixes, most notably reinstating the Construction skill and with it Player Owned Housing. It’s been fascinating watching the tussle for supremacy on the Construction hi score table :)

For next week our main update (all going well) will patch back in Barbarian Assault.

We’re also aiming to get the first community content polls open next week. We’ve been listening carefully to the discussion of this topic following last week’s devblog, and there has been a lot of agreement from within the community about how such polls should be run. Therefore we’ll be setting up the polls to run under the following principles:

- Each feature poll will have a yes/no answer

- Each feature poll will run for a week, although we will often run several polls at once.

- A feature requires 75% yes vote in order to be successful.

- Only players with at least 100 total level in Old School RuneScape can vote.

The features being polled will be drawn from community discussions in the Old School Feedback forum and then filtered & shortlisted by the developers to make sure what’s requested is possible within a reasonable time frame.

We’re going for fairly quick and simple changes for this first content poll. We’ve not locked these down yet, but to give you a taster of our current plans for the features to be voted on in the first content poll:

- Easter event: the 2007 Easter holiday event is re-activated to coincide with Easter this year.

- Herb naming: unidentified herbs become grimy <herb name>.

- Remove roof: a command to toggle the visibility all roofs on and off.

- ‘Enter’ to login: the enter key submits login information, rather than only the login button.

- Bank booths: left click bank booths to instantly open the bank interface.

- F2P worlds: still members only, but allows PKers to fight with F2P gear restrictions

We’ve also been thinking about whether the game should have rares or holiday items, and if so how they should be introduced. There’s been some community discussion of this already, but now’s the time to focus the ideas towards a feature proposal for everyone to vote on in a subsequent set of polls. Please take a look at the official rares thread to get involved in that discussion.

I also wanted to let you know that we’re still working in the background to integrate more of our anti-bot technology into the Old School servers, and as part of this banned several hundred gold farmers yesterday.

Thanks,

Mod Pips

Taken directly from the Runescape website:

http://services.runescape.com/m=rswiki/en/Old_School_RuneScape_Week_2

~Chris

So I like the idea that 75% of people have to vote on a poll to get it passed, I think it would suck if it was just a small majority and it passed because that would leave a lot of people upset.

I'm a bit stuck to whether I think rares should be re-introduced. I have no idea how they would go about introducing them but I personally feel that the game or no worse off without them so what would be the point in bringing them back?

Here's how I think each poll will end up:

- Easter event: the 2007 Easter holiday event is re-activated to coincide with Easter this year. (YES)

- Herb naming: unidentified herbs become grimy <herb name>. (HELL NO)

- Remove roof: a command to toggle the visibility all roofs on and off. (YES, why not?)

- ‘Enter’ to login: the enter key submits login information, rather than only the login button. (If you don't vote YES, I'm punching you.)

- Bank booths: left click bank booths to instantly open the bank interface. (HELL YES)

- F2P worlds: still members only, but allows PKers to fight with F2P gear restrictions (NO)

Some of those usability things like left click banking and entering to login are no-brainers. There's no reason to even have a vote.

I haven't a clue how the herb naming one will go, I was looking at the forum topic about a week ago about the anger Jagex had put them back to Unids. I would say the community is actually split between unids and named and as they are asking for 75%, I can see them staying at unids, but I have no idea.

Here is how I would like them to go:

- Easter event: the 2007 Easter holiday event is re-activated to coincide with Easter this year. (Yes)

- Herb naming: unidentified herbs become grimy <herb name>. (No)

- Remove roof: a command to toggle the visibility all roofs on and off. (Yes)

- ‘Enter’ to login: the enter key submits login information, rather than only the login button. (Yes)

- Bank booths: left click bank booths to instantly open the bank interface. (Yes)

- F2P worlds: still members only, but allows PKers to fight with F2P gear restrictions (No)

I've just realised, the way I would like them to turn is the same as how Matt thinks they will turn out. I'm assuming Matt wants the same results as me, fingers crossed guys!

Rationale:

Easter event: the 2007 Easter holiday event is re-activated to coincide with Easter this year.

- Why not?

Herb naming: unidentified herbs become grimy <herb name>.

- Like Chris said, there'll be a fairly split opinion, and 75% limits don't work well with split opinions.

Remove roof: a command to toggle the visibility all roofs on and off.

- Just an usability thing, why not?

‘Enter’ to login: the enter key submits login information, rather than only the login button.

- I cannot think of a single good reason for this to not be supported.

Bank booths: left click bank booths to instantly open the bank interface.

- Just another ease of access thing. Why would anybody want to keep the old way?

F2P worlds: still members only, but allows PKers to fight with F2P gear restrictions

- There's really not much reason for this

I like that idea of PK worlds with an F2P restriction. Not that I even PK, but it seems nice all the same.

As for left clicking bankers, I don't see why... I'm so used to right clicking I'm perfectly happy. This is really just one of those needless updates... But sure, it'd be useful.

I wonder if (sort of) new quests would be added to rs07...

Well... Yeah. But all the same. I don't see why the F2P limit PKing is such a bad idea.

And banking, I can't believe people are so fucking lazy that they couldn't right click THEN left click to use a bank... 07 was brought back for things to be "harder" to do, require more effort. Well, why should banking be any different? XD

What people were referring to when they meant the game had gotten easier was things like the ge, urns, ivy bushes, bonfires, shit that mean you can level incredibly fast, bonfires allowed you to just throw the logs in one fire eliminating the need to walk and wait, ivy trees allowed woodcutters to just sit all day and chop with no need to bank whatsoever..

I don't think making the bank left click only will make too much difference. If you only need to deposit, you have the left click only deposit boxes anyway.