Photo
- - - - -

Why Call of Duty is Bad

Call of Duty Activision Console Gameplay Platform FPS War Commentary Analysis Valve

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Fantikerz

Fantikerz

Administrator

• Group Image Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1125 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

This is a pretty good video that shows how the gameplay is broken. It isn't a platform war, but rather an objective view as to why the game may be viewed as inherently flawed.

Do you guys agree?

I can see the formulaic approach Activision takes with Call of Duty from a mile away, and normally wouldn't mind, but lame business practices are the main reason why I won't buy another CoD game. Overpriced content and yearly releases (focusing on deadlines rather than quality) are just too off-putting. Your money is best spent on Valve and indie games that innovate and buttfuck the consumer significantly less.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Osborne1992

Osborne1992

Administrator

• 1835 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

So really Call of Duty has an aspect of super soldier behind it.
I do find the whole, enemies popping up, annoying. Like, killing guys in an area, moving forward a bit, then they're back. It sucks...

I don't think CoD could possibly do as well as it has if you still had to use health packs but I'm not sure.
I played a game at HMV the other day, Sniper Elite I think it was? That was fun as hell but again, health regenerating. I feel that, that game really should have health packs and such in it. It could make it so much better. All the more reason to snipe from the shadows and be undetected.

Perhaps it'd be an idea if CoD had a new setting so there are health packs and no health regeneration otherwise? It wouldn't do well in multiplayer I don't think, unless again, there's a game type which has it.
I do enjoy CoD regardless. Although anything by Treyarch I will avoid. I dislike World at War and Black Ops very much.

Simon "Ossy" Osborne, AKA Osborne1992

Vloggingsignature_zpsbd61a2b4.png

#3 Fantikerz

Fantikerz

Administrator

• 1125 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

I see what you mean about the health packs. They would also be out of place in a "realistic", fast-paced shooter like CoD I suppose (although BF3 pulls it off, but that's typically slower since they're player-deployed).

Let's wait to see if they overhaul the series. Chances are that will be later rather than sooner. They can't possibly release MW4, right? Right guys? Right?
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Maxy

Maxy

Fine Scented Candle

• Group Image Forum Mods
  • 966 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

I'd prefer a MW4 to "Black Ops" or "World at War" or whatever. I just feel it's so much more enjoyable. Black Ops espeically was far to out-of-town for me, especially with Zombies - campaign and online experiance which are plausible in their content (most certainly not their gameplay), with Zombies thrown in purely because it will make some money (Spec Ops is superior in every way in my opinion).

Maybe they'll drastically change the game. But with the large amount of shooters out there, how do you go about making one that isn't like someone elses? How do you make a shooter game original again? Maybe it isn't possible.

Meanwhile, DICE and 343 Industries are having no problems. They have a fanbase, they serve the fanbase, and offer new players a chance to dip their toes in. If they don't like it, no hard feelings, thanks for trying, have a good day.
Activision? Don't like it? Missing something? Tough, you paid £50 for it, so you get what you're given, ciao fella. Call of Duty is like a poorly run business with high customer service. The product is shit, but is made by skilled induviduals - and the fat, smoking CEOs are paid, so theres nothing wrong.

And to Ossy's point about hating Treyarch - I don't like them much either - but only because they are deep in Activision's pockets. They made half the Infinity Ward guys quit. I really hope they win their hearing, and get all the money they are owed. Best outcome for me? Activision to be removed, and a new publisher to take the fight.
Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Osborne1992

Osborne1992

Administrator

• 1835 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

I'm pretty sure the MW series is done. I won't say why I say that because of le spoilers.
I want to know when there will be a Call of Duty Laser Warfare! That'll be fuuuuuuun XD

I'm wondering if Blops 2 will be any good or if it'll suck ass too...

My friend doesn't like Treyarch either. They made CoD3 apparently and that was good. So I want to know what happened to them honestly. Perhaps Black Ops and WaW would be "good" in my opinion if Infinity Ward hadn't come around the way they did.
It was really ridiculous that IW brought in $1b for MW2 I think it was? Then they were laid off... That's messed up.

#6 Feinraf

Feinraf

Administrator

• 2400 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Treyarch made United Offensive which in my opinion was pretty fun, they made call of duty 2 for consoles (big red one) which I played on ps2 I think and had fun playing through and I never actually played cod3 but I heard it was good.

Here is my opinion on treyarch though, THEY MAKE AWESOME CAMPAIGNS, but they fucking suck at multiplayer, My favourite Call of Duty campaign ever has got to be World At War, it was just magnificent but I do also have a soft spot for world war 2. They're multiplayer on the other hand sucks.

If I had it my way, modern warfare would be over, Infinity ward would also be over, treyarch would scrap the current system and start a new call of duty series.

#7 Maxy

Maxy

Fine Scented Candle

• Group Image Forum Mods
  • 966 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

I've seen the new CoD trailer, and it looks.. dare I say it, different?

I've liked the campaign for MW, following Soap and price and their various buddies. However, now that that is over, I'd be delighted to get into the Black Ops, especially if this is a good one.

Then again, Halo 4, Fary Cry 3, Max Payne 3... I might not need another CoD!

#8 Osborne1992

Osborne1992

Administrator

• 1835 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

I'm pissed with Black Ops 2. Although, if it were IW who were doing it, maybe I'd feel different...

But seriously? We finally get something futuristic, and it's just people fighting with the usual guns against fucking robots?

No thanks -.-

#9 Maxy

Maxy

Fine Scented Candle

• Group Image Forum Mods
  • 966 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

Robots in war aren't new, and Halo is based in 2552 - they still use normal guns then!

#10 Osborne1992

Osborne1992

Administrator

• 1835 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

You can't compare Halo to CoD Maxy... That's just silly.
If I recall, the previous CoD games I've played, there were no robots.

#11 Feinraf

Feinraf

Administrator

• 2400 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

I prefer GoW.

#12 Osborne1992

Osborne1992

Administrator

• 1835 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

Gears of War is like... Orrrrgasmic.
I love the games. Love'em love'em love'em.

I used to be completely obsessed with Halo. Used to go to my friends just to play it really. Then I tried Gears, I was terrible, but I bought it, and now I domin-omin-ate.

#13 Matt K0re

Matt K0re

Robot Wulras

• 932 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Ewww... third person shooters?

Battlefield 3 is by far the best FPS I've ever played because it combines balanced ground and air vehicles without killstreaks. Those just suck.

Posted Image

#14 Maxy

Maxy

Fine Scented Candle

• Group Image Forum Mods
  • 966 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

I think the only unbalanced thing on it currently is tanks - they're far to easy to take out now, without suiciding it with C4 (That was the best bit).

And jets are lethal to everything, if you know what you're doing.

Still, better than CoD hands DOWN MOTHER F***ER

#15 Feinraf

Feinraf

Administrator

• 2400 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

I don't think tanks are unbalanced really, they are vital to the gameplay and every team has the chance to use one so everyone has the same chance, right?

#16 Maxy

Maxy

Fine Scented Candle

• Group Image Forum Mods
  • 966 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

They are useful, sure, but the now that Javelins and AGM/LGMS are so much more powerful, their uses are much more restricted, and a single support or engineer can take 3 tanks without no problems (okay, very lucky scenario - but the point is it's possible).

And a skilled player has a much stronger tank than a low/medium skilled, so stands much less of a chance - then there is the opposite effect, that a measley level 17 can take out a Colonel-80 in 1 shot with no chance whatsoever.

My clan only has 2 tank drivers now: the co-owner and another high level member. I'm stuck in a jet, IFV or infantry (my favourite! :)), because we need more infantry to take out AT squads.

It's strategy right?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Call of Duty, Activision, Console, Gameplay, Platform, FPS, War, Commentary, Analysis, Valve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users