7 replies to this topic

#1 jak AK

jak AK

Full Time Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

Sony online entertainment are releasing Planetside 2 which is a MMO FPS and i'm not sure if my Dell 620 MT will be able to play it. I was wondering if i should build a new PC or upgrade my current one? If i should build a new one, is it easy to do and which sites or store provide parts for it?

Dell 620 MT spec:
Intel® Core™ i3-2120 Processor (3.30GHz, 3MB)
Genuine Windows® 7
4096MB Dual Channel DDR3 [2x2048] Memory
500GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
Graphics : Intel® HD

P.S I'm new to PC gaming when it comes to building it as i'm worried i might mess up. XD
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Fantikerz

Fantikerz

Administrator

• Group Image Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1125 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Definitely get a video card (this is a quality one if you're on a budget - I have this one and it maxes out BF3 in 1080p). Everything else looks good enough (the i3 is a quad core, right?).

In the future, I'd plan to upgrade to 8GB of RAM though. My guess is that you'll be able to run most games, but you'll have to shut down all background processes first. Check your motherboard if you have the extra slots and spend the $40 to get another 4gb. It's worth it.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 jak AK

jak AK

Full Time Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. :biggrin:
Just one question (sorry if this sounds like a dumb one), but if I were to upgrade the ram and video card, will it damage the rest of the components due the amount of power it's receiving?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Feinraf

Feinraf

Administrator

• 2404 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

To answer your second question, no it won't, you should definitely be fine. The graphics card may require a little extra power but shouldn't break anything. Take a look at your psu and check what wattage it is as well. Mine is either a 750watt or 850watt, can't remember which off the top of my head.

If you let us know which motherboard you have, we can take a look for you and see if you're able to upgrade the ram and what not.

#5 Fantikerz

Fantikerz

Administrator

• 1125 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

You should be fine so long as you have ~450 watts, which I think most modern, out-of-the-box computers have at the very minimum.

If you do happen to not have enough power, the computer will either:
  • simply power on momentarily (or not at all) and shut down, or
  • shut down when the video card draws more power (like when you're gaming)
Both events would not cause permanent damage. The same goes for overheating - your computer will just shut down.

That said, it's always good to keep your computer from powering off instantaneously, so double check your wattage and airflow!

Let us know how the upgrade goes! :smile:
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Feinraf

Feinraf

Administrator

• 2404 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

P.S I'm new to PC gaming when it comes to building it as i'm worried i might mess up. XD

Just to directly approach this, I built my computer just before Christmas I think it was and I felt exactly the same, luckily I had friends who were looking to build as well and had friends who already had experience in building and upgrading their computer. A huge help was from Marty, I would probably still be sat scratching my head without his guidance.

All I have to say is, it's a lot simpler than you initially think, and when pointed in the right direction, you'll be fine, if you ever have a question just ask someone who has experience whether it be in this topic on here or to a friend or else where on the internet. The information and help is always out there.

I've had a moderate look on the internet at your model pc. There are loads of websites which say its a great pc but no websites that give information on what upgrades it can take, although a review on CNET said one downside of the computer was that 'upgrade options were limited'.

Taking this on board it may be difficult to actually upgrade your ram on that machine, although I'm not 100% certain, it looks like if you want to upgrade your ram you may need to start a fresh. Although if you can find information that suggests otherwise, ignore me.

Just out of interest, what exactly would you say your budget was?

#7 jak AK

jak AK

Full Time Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I just wanted to make sure if it was easy to make a good gaming PC without messing up and knowing where to get the parts for it. :biggrin:
But i won't be able it upgrade it yet because i'll be moving this year around October and sorting out my studies and asignments. However, i'll let you guys know how the upgrade is going. :smile:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Osborne1992

Osborne1992

Administrator

• 1838 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

I just spent the last 20ish minutes looking at my old list of computer components Chrisseh helped me finding. It's only a matter of time before I can actually build my own gaming PC. Not entirely sure what I have would work together. I'm not doubting Chris' knowledge in anyway, it's just something I can't stop thinking about. Getting all this stuff, only to find out it won't do shit...

So here's my list =P I updated prices, had to find a new optical drive, went for a blu-ray one instead of a normal drive. It's annoying to have blu-rays I want to watch but have to watch them in the lounge. Which is impossible when either my lardass brother or lardass dad has claimed the room.
But yeah, this is my list I have in a notepad file on me laptop. And now it's online! So I won't have to worry about losing it at all XD
Spoiler

Simon "Ossy" Osborne, AKA Osborne1992

Vloggingsignature_zpsbd61a2b4.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users