25 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Nergon

Sir Nergon

Common Respondant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

Well I have about 2:30 hours in game and it really sucks so far. Some things Ive noticed are that the game is EXTREMELY glitchy and all sorts of buggy crap like npc feet getting stuck in the ground, npc not following you outside and magically disappearing, game freezes and crashed every 20-40 min as well as many many more (you can look up bunches of them). Also in New Vegas you can be poisoned by enemies which is EXTREMELY annoying because you have to use a new item "anti venom" to not die from this. This coupled with the fact that from the start you have about 200 health and almost every enemy you meet in the begging of the game hits anywhere from about 7-19 (about 12 usually) which wouldnt be so bad, but everything attacks you in groups. This means that if your attacked by a group of 3 and each of them hits you 12 within 2-3 sec you've lost roughly 18% of your health in about 2-3 sec AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME! Thats just not right. Another thing worth mentioning is that stempacks are so few and far between at this point in the game that to survive you pretty much have to eat the dogs, geckos, mole-rats, etc.. But doing that increases your rads very fast (molerat meat gives +5hp and +9rads!). So your pretty well screwed. And the only settlements your exposed to at the very beginning are some tiny out of the way shacks more or less (unlike megaton in Fallout 3) I think the idea of getting introduced to a small but common town right of off the bat allows the player to feel like they always have somewhere to go if they run out of supplies or are close to death. That doesnt happen to New Vegas. Im 2:30 hours in and I still haven't made it to a REAL town yet. Also I forgot tomention that no real improvements where made to the game engine theres still that weird VATS glitch for me(sometimes VATS selects a body part but doesn't display the probability of me hitting it). VATS still cant hit jack from about 20 feet away. And the UI and control is pretty much identical with a few tweaks here and there (mostly for the better). If you played Fallout 3 like I did dont expect to be blown away by this. its.....ok.....I guess, But overall New Vegas was a disappointment and if I where you Id wait until the price is down <$40 to buy it. Tell me what you think about New Vegas.

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Ocoton

Ocoton

Full Time Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:32 PM

Regardless to what you might believe, you sucking at a video game doesn't mean that it's bad. If you have a problem with the difficulty, turn it the fuck down. " VATS still cant hit jack from about 20 feet away." Then you're not using a ranged weapon. Trying to hit something with a baseball bat or shotgun from 20 feet away tends to end badly. Where as, it's reasonably easy with, I don't know... A FUCKING RIFLE? [And obviously, if you still can't hit something then, then uh... raise your fucking weapon skills or repair your weapon?] As the boxer vs fruitdealer stream just crashed, I'm in a terrible mood, and won't unleash the boundless fury upon you, however, simply know that I find your opinion to be laughable and your testicles to be small in stature, if indeed existent at all. I hope you have a lovely day, have fun playing farmville.
Posted Image

#3 Sir Nergon

Sir Nergon

Common Respondant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:26 PM

Hmm actually im not bad at the game at all. And if you actually read the post I had it set to the lowest difficulty and still had difficulty mostly relating to a lack of stempacks. im just saying that the difficulty for the beginning of the game is too difficult. I was able to get by and to some more reasoable stuff but as for my first impressions and intro to the game it kinda sucked. Most of the difficulty and frustration I experienced in the beginning of the game is due to glitches and my own impatience not wanting to search through every building for stempacks and supplies because I wanted to get to an actual town and do something. While I still think that there should be more stempacks spread across the starting area the glitches,crashes,and overall game fails are the most frustrating.

Now I didn't mean to say that New Vegas sucks just because of the difficulty. Honestly I don't think the story behind this game is that great either. Fallout 3 and Project Purity was a pretty solid and interesting story but I'm not as interested in the New Vegas story. In other words I think the story sucks...

Also you assume I dont know how to play the game. What Im talking about with VATS is that when an enemy is a reasonable distance away (20-40ft) and you only have a 20%-30% chance of hitting, but when you get out of VATS and its a pretty easy shot that the accuracy of vats should be increased.

#4 ~ruhGz

~ruhGz

Wise Wyvern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:21 AM

If you were really that experienced, you wouldn't be bitching about the game. Am I right or am I right?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Sir Nergon

Sir Nergon

Common Respondant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

Your wrong. Ive played Fallout 3 and all the DLCs and they where fun. Im playing New Vegas and so far its not fun. :down:

#6 Sir Nergon

Sir Nergon

Common Respondant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

UPDATE Im now about 5-6 hrs into the game, Its not so difficult once you get armor that doesn't completely suck. But anyway I still don't care for the story.

#7 Nokey4

Nokey4

Full Time Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

I was looking at this the other day, trailers and gameplays etc.. and for a new game the graphics really suck! like it looks like counter strike haha but yeah, i'll def not buy this one.

#8 Matt

Matt

Voice of Reason

• Group Image Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:33 PM

>>Implying graphics are what make a game good.

#9 Sir Nergon

Sir Nergon

Common Respondant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

Graphics aren't what make a good game. But this game deffinatly has its share of flaws. Most of the problems and frustrations with this game will probably get patched though since this rant is about a copy of the game from the initial release. Its worth getting once the price drops but its not an instant must have game.

#10 Martyj

Martyj

Administrator

• Group Image Administrators
  • 1055 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

@Ocoton Can we lay off the personal attacks? We're all gamers here. No need to be rude.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!

#11 Ocoton

Ocoton

Full Time Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:27 AM

I was looking at this the other day, trailers and gameplays etc.. and for a new game the graphics really suck! like it looks like counter strike haha but yeah, i'll def not buy this one.

Am I the only gamer completely fucking sick of hearing this? The cost of adding high quality graphics pushes the price of a project through the roof. We're talking 10s of millions more. This means games cost so much to produce that companies refuse to take risks on an innovative title, so very rare are games that don't repeat the same shit. Also, I find that lower quality graphics can be more appealing. Look at minecraft. If it was sleek and looked realistic; I'd find it nowhere near as fun. Simplicity doesn't hurt. Fallouts graphics are by no means primitive, and for you to refuse to buy a game because of the graphics simply proves that you've well and truly lost your way. Might I remind you that we play games for the fun, not the shine? If you want something pretty, go watch a movie, If you want something fun, play a game, and if you want someone to talk to you while respecting the opinion that graphics are the most important thing; get a parrot.

@Ocoton Can we lay off the personal attacks? We're all gamers here. No need to be rude.

Aye el capitano.
Posted Image

#12 ~ruhGz

~ruhGz

Wise Wyvern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:05 AM

Well my neighbor has it and he let me play a bit of it. It's actually not that bad. Yeah there are a couple of bugs, but not that much bugs. My feet only got stuck in the ground once. And besides, it's a shooter game made by bethesda and some other good companies. Bethesda is used to making past world games like Elder Scrolls. Shooter games are new to them. Once they fix the bugs, I bet it will make millions more dollars. Just cut them some slack. It'll get better, I promise.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Dark_Lumino0

Dark_Lumino0

Voiced

• Group Image Voiced
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:49 AM

Other than the fact that Fallout: NV plays and looks almost exactly similiar to Fallout 3, I've definitely heard many gripes about the technical problems of the game. I'm hoping that a patch will soon come in to fix these problems, almost like back when the Fallout 3 DLC: The Pitt came out. When that first came out, it was very buggy and such. Immediately afterward, Bethesda fixed it, and brought it back much better. Here's hoping they do the same here.
Posted Image

#14 Lil_John_Pi

Lil_John_Pi

Veteran

• Group Image Veterans
  • 663 posts
  • RuneScape:Lil_John_Pi

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

R.E. graphics being the best part of a game:
My game of the year so far is minecraft.......QED tbh :P

#15 Sir Nergon

Sir Nergon

Common Respondant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

I have to admit when I first started playing this game (First 4 hrs or so) its sucked. But once you get started and collect an arsenal of weapons its fun. Theres alot of glitches and strange stuff happens quite frequently, but once you get used to playing around the glitches its pretty easy to enjoy yourself. Alsot the storyline is alittle tricky to follow because it never really tells you whose the bad guys and whose the good guys. It basically says "Guy 1 and Guy 2 are fighting. Both Guy 1 and Guy 2 have done bad things. Do you want to side with Guy 1 or Guy 2?". And to make things worse the Karma system is messed up. If you kill one of Guy 1's guys you don't lose karma and you don't gain karma. But if you kill one of Guy 2's guys you gain karma. It never really establishes good from bad. After about 12 hrs of game play Ive come to the conclusion that if you kill pretty much anyone whose not a shop owner or a civilian you wont lose karma and you might gain karma. 12hrs in and I still don't know good from bad lol! Despite all that its still a good game and I would recommend buying it. :sweat:

#16 Fantikerz

Fantikerz

Administrator

• Group Image Administrators
  • 1125 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

I ordered this from Amazon earlier this week and got it the other day. So far I'm about 6h in and absolutely loving it. I'm playing in a kind of passive way (killing only those who get in my way or just piss me off), and am just enjoying my first playthrough. I have yet to get to any big city because I'm taking my time and having fun.

Call me strange, but the graphics and gameplay are more than fine. I don't need everything to be shiny in order to find the game enjoyable. It's enjoyable because it has a lot of substance. There's always something to do and somewhere new to go. I get impatient sometimes, but then I just remind myself that this is a game and it's meant to be enjoyed... not beaten.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 Tragic Clown

Tragic Clown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:03 AM

when bethesda release the next elder scrolls game, the engine will most likly be upgraded and will pass on to the fallout franchise anyway, thats if they sort out the legal issues around the game of course, otherwise there will be no more fallout, which would be a shame, it could be way better than new vegas
"The duty of youth is to challenge corruption."
Kurt Cobain.

#18 Skynet

Skynet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

' Some things Ive noticed are that the game is EXTREMELY glitchy and all sorts of buggy crap like npc feet getting stuck in the ground, npc not following you outside and magically disappearing, game freezes and crashed every 20-40 min as well as many many more (you can look up bunches of them). '
Very valid point, the recent patches have seemed to clear most but not all of these.

'Also in New Vegas you can be poisoned by enemies which is EXTREMELY annoying because you have to use a new item "anti venom" to not die from this.'
Anti Venom is sold in the starting towns and by travelling merchants, along with being easily scavenged and crafted at the local campfires. The fact that poisoning is a possibility means you have to approach an enemy tactically, you could whittle down thier health via range, sneak attack to disable them quickly, cripple thier stings to prevent this problem all together, or hell you could go the much under-appreciated route of sneaking or running like hell (which sums up my first encounter with 3 Giant rad scorps at level 7, that was a hell of a experiance.)

'This coupled with the fact that from the start you have about 200 health and almost every enemy you meet in the begging of the game hits anywhere from about 7-19 (about 12 usually) which wouldnt be so bad, but everything attacks you in groups. This means that if your attacked by a group of 3 and each of them hits you 12 within 2-3 sec you've lost roughly 18% of your health in about 2-3 sec AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME!'
One thing I have noticed is that at the beginning of them game up to about Novac the more you stray of the intended path the more likely it is you are to encounter large groups of creatures you cant handle. While i didnt design the game im pretty sure it was the designers way of keeping you travelling in a certain way till you reach a point in the story/ high enough level to deviate. There's a reason nearly every NPC in Goodsprings tells you to stay on the highway, there are far less blood thristy creatures to contend with. Another thing is you mention that YOU are attacked, you should try and be more perceptive of your surroundings to ensure that you notice enemys and take the appropriate actions ie Avoid the fight or make sure the fight plays to your advantages.

'stempacks are so few and far between at this point in the game that to survive you pretty much have to eat the dogs, geckos, mole-rats, etc.. But doing that increases your rads very fast (molerat meat gives +5hp and +9rads!). So your pretty well screwed.'
First of it sounds like either you didnt do the beginning tutorial mission or you didnt pay attention, the SURVIVAL skill is important, not only does it improve the health giving properties of food but it enables you to craft that raw meat you've been chewing on (terrible idea both in game and in reality) into food with that actually gives you more health and less rads. The designers also limited medical supplies and 200 year old food so players would rely on this crafting system more, which does in fact offer the ability to create stimpacks as you increase your abilities. Also try and scavenge more as many abandoned building are filled with stimpacks or other goodies.

'the only settlements your exposed to at the very beginning are some tiny out of the way shacks more or less (unlike megaton in Fallout 3) I think the idea of getting introduced to a small but common town right of off the bat allows the player to feel like they always have somewhere to go if they run out of supplies or are close to death. That doesnt happen to New Vegas. Im 2:30 hours in and I still haven't made it to a REAL town yet.'
Hey now dont be to harsh on Goodsprings and Primm haha. within two hours you could reach those afformentioned towns you could reach the NCR correctional faculty and the camp mohave outpost, all four of those place have a bed to rest in along with a doc and/or a merchant to sell your wares. And lets be honest is anywhere in fallout 3 bar Rivet City, Megaton and Tenpenny towers (and the citidel i guess since it does house a rather large BOS community) considered a town? barely anywhere has more than 8 people, in my New Vegas playthrough I encountered (off the top of my head) Goodsprings, Primm, Nipton (wait nevermind), Camp Mohave, Novac, Camp Forlorne Hope; Camp McCarren, Freeside, New Vegas, Westside, Cottonwood Cove, Nellis Airbase (Boomers ftw) and Jacobstown.

'Also I forgot tomention that no real improvements where made to the game engine theres still that weird VATS glitch for me(sometimes VATS selects a body part but doesn't display the probability of me hitting it)'
You did. At the start. When you said it was glitchy, this counts as a glitch im sure.

' VATS still cant hit jack from about 20 feet away.'
Invest in them weapon related skills son, of course you arnt going to hit jack you just started, but iron sights are your friend here.

'In other words I think the story sucks...'
Thats cools, its your opinion and I cant exactly argue that, personally I like the story of New Vegas more as it seemed to put more thought into the wasteland as a whole and made it seem as though your actions had a more powerful and far reaching effect.

' What Im talking about with VATS is that when an enemy is a reasonable distance away (20-40ft) and you only have a 20%-30% chance of hitting, but when you get out of VATS and its a pretty easy shot that the accuracy of vats should be increased.'
Another thing is the developers tried to make people less reliant on VATs, as such they decreased the probability of you hitting anything without significant skill (doubly so for limbs, especially the head), they wanted to make fights less VATS: headshot and repeat and more tactic and skill based.

'Alsot the storyline is alittle tricky to follow because it never really tells you whose the bad guys and whose the good guys. It basically says "Guy 1 and Guy 2 are fighting. Both Guy 1 and Guy 2 have done bad things. Do you want to side with Guy 1 or Guy 2?". And to make things worse the Karma system is messed up. If you kill one of Guy 1's guys you don't lose karma and you don't gain karma. But if you kill one of Guy 2's guys you gain karma. It never really establishes good from bad.'
Yes, lord forbid people are forced to choose who to side with and be given some difficult choices (The Nightkin cure at Jacobstown was a particularly hard choice for me). I found it refreshing that they didnt make the game a completly Black and White, good versus evil battle, remember not many people would follow a man they would consider evil. Are Ceasers actions morally wrong, violent and shocking? Yes. Are they effective? Doubly so, his terrortories are practically crime free, infact if thier treatment of women and slaves were better and had faith in thier ability to continue after ceasars demise I would of joined them. Given that they are most definatly the most villianous of the three main factions I find it impressive that obsidian gave the time to give them solid motives for fighting.

ANYWAY to end this massive bloody rant I want to say personally I think you are still in the mindset of FO3, New Vegas definatly lets you know you are not a super hero by level 5 and reminds you that the wasteland is a cruel and treacherous place that will punish you for any misstep, but if your careful you can turn it to your advantage and survive in the wastes, all it takes is to be careful, perceptive and smart.

#19 mattycatman

mattycatman

Master of the Forum

• Group Image Voiced
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:25 AM

3 words
You are wrong ;P

p.s
(Dos anyone else keep getting stuck in various places?)

#20 BrewingInBrooklyn

BrewingInBrooklyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

Have to agree with the original poster. This game really does suck. A number of reasons:

1. Enemy AI is simply AWFUL.

I can shoot an enemy with a shotgun, blow his head off, and his companion who is just around the corner just stands there. Its like he's deaf and blind. The little indicator will just say "caution" for 5 seconds and then return to saying "hidden", at which point I can round the corner and blow his head off. This is with the difficulty set all the way up mind you.

2.The story is boring and I don't find myself really compelled to do anything.

All I really felt compelled to do was to kill Benny, and that plot line was completely botched. First, the whole great Khan stand off was completely lame. It didn't feel like a stand off. It felt like two groups of people sitting on two sides of rubble just doing nothing. And the way they enclosed the city was just plain lazy. Next, killing Benny off so soon and in such an anti-climatic way was mind boggling. I really don't understand why they didn't keep him around or at least make it a cool fight or something. It was if they were just done with his character and wanted to get rid of him. I felt like they could have kept him around and kept the player asking questions about his motives until much later in the story arch.

I did keep playing though, but only because I was hoping that the story would become compelling at some point again...which it didn't...

3. 2 years between releases and its basically the same exact game.

New storyline (which sucks), new guns and characters (both essentially just reskins), and a new map (which isn't nearly as fun to explore)...thats it. That's pretty much all the changes they made. Vats is the same (a horrible interpretation of bullet time), karma is the same (completely out of whack), and leveling is the same (nothing wrong here, but something new would have been cool). I would even venture to say the AI is worse. Did I really spend 30 hours playing a recycled version of Fallout 3?

4. It doesn't feel like the wasteland.

Fallout 3 felt like the wasteland. It felt creepy, and I actually felt nervous to explore new places in that game. The ruins of DC and the metro all had a gloomy surreal feeling to them. The frequent attacks by the Talon company kept me on my toes. Overall, the game had a great environment (until it dropped off at the end with the Enclave base which sucked). Fallout New Vegas on the other hand has no feel. I never feel nervous about entering some new place. No place I've been to has had that "whoa, this place is dangerous" feel. There's no place on the map that makes me say "man I can't wait to go there" or "I wonder what that place is like?". I did feel that way about New Vegas itself, until I got there and saw that it was really lame. Overall, the whole game environment just feels really blah to me.

5. The graphics

Sorry, but anyone who says the graphics don't need to improve has lost THEIR way. Yeah, we used to play video games with terrible graphics. I remember. However, I also remember that when a new gaming system would come out the major buzz was always about graphics improvements. Sure, people got excited about the controller improvements, but come on, we all know graphics were and are key. You know that when you first heard that a new Fallout game was due to be released you googled it to get some screenshots. Then you opened one up and said "huh, what gives? these graphics look the same." Don't rationalize it, they skimped on the graphics. And it certainly was not to keep the game price down. It was still $60 on release...

VERDICT: 3/10
sorry obsidian, this game sucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users