8 replies to this topic

#1 Dead Ants

Dead Ants

wat.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:16 AM

I've been using the Xbox for some time now and every so often you get people who get so angry over a game they 'claim' they will hack your account if you annoy them anymore.

When this happens, a lot of people start to bum this person who claims they can hack accounts and the person who was threatened gets scared and backs out. However, when someone says it to me I always challenge them to hack my account and nothing happens. I have had one person say I need to join in a private match for them to able to hack me which I declined to joining a private match (I admit, I was worried he could be legit as he was the only person who replied giving the impression it could be real).

I have tried to Google the answer but all the articles I found are always like the old email scam (email - http://www.thegamefo...-gamertags.html). Who even falls for those? Jesus!

So, my question is; Can an xbox live account really get hacked? Can someone really find out your email address and/or password?

As for myself, I don't believe it's possible. I know you can hack a game and I understand how you can, but it's a totally different type of 'hack'.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Martyj

Martyj

Administrator

• Group Image Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

In the world of computers anything is possible. Most likely they are bull shit. If someone says they are going to hack you its 99% bullshit. It is possible to get hacked though.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!

#3 AceHavok

AceHavok

Voiced

• Group Image Voiced
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

I was playing a game called grid and a 12 year kid private messaged me saying he was going to hack me. I laughed so hard. :) But yeah I agree with Marty It's 99% BS.
Posted Image

If your going through hell... Keep going. - Winston Churchill

#4 eminent

eminent

Sporadic Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

If you get hacked, you either did something wrong, or the guy is just a complete genius xD....

#5 Fantikerz

Fantikerz

Administrator

• Group Image Administrators
  • 1125 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

Or more likely you were careless.

90% of the time that's the reason for any sort of account compromise. Short of someone actually, physically, tampering with your computer (installing something malicious while you're out).

Anyway, the only obvious way I can see someone hijacking an XBL account would be through a phishing scam like you showed. If you're naive enough to fall for that though...
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Mickey

Mickey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

Account hacking can be done, but it would be very hard to do so, alot of the people who claim to hack you are squeaky little kids, i find, tbh, they are pretty much always sayin that to try and scare you, my rule, if they squeak, call the bluff, record and put on yt.

Mickey

I do what i must because i can.

#7 Maxy

Maxy

Fine Scented Candle

• Group Image Forum Mods
  • 966 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

...or just ignore them completely. Why would you waste resources on a "squeaky little kid"?

Usually what people refer to account hacking in normal situations is where the normal user has entered their username or password in the presence of a keylogger virus or passed info on to sombody else. Don't download things you don't know the origin of, and you won't get hacked. Simple. Surely you've heard that.
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 ChrisJ

ChrisJ

Sporadic Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:38 PM

In the world of computers anything is possible. Most likely they are bull shit. If someone says they are going to hack you its 99% bullshit. It is possible to get hacked though.

I can't help but agree with this 100%.

I only know two people who have had their console accounts compromised and only their Ultimate Teams (Fifa 11) we're hacked, leading me to think they got scammed by someone offering free coins. 99% of the time as MartyJ has said the person is probably just raging for some reason.

#9 Maxy

Maxy

Fine Scented Candle

• Group Image Forum Mods
  • 966 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

"Hacking" isn't the same as what people on RS say. Looking at what you say, that isn't hacking, ChrisJ. That's people being stupid with their accounts. But Marty is also right. It is possible to hack, but you really have to know what you're doing. See the recent reports of the PS3 hackers, they call themselves "Reverse Engineers". Some of them, infact most hardware companies hire professional hackers to see if their systems are full proof. (It just so happened that in this instance PS3 wasn't, they were patched however hours after the, uhh, for want of a better word, hole, was found).
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users